Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pre-Canada Update

Hey Everyone,


Well, 1 week to go now and I am heading over to Kelowna in British Columbia, Canada. This race is an ITU Pan American Cup and will be held on the 21st of August over the Olympic distance (1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run). I am extremely excited about this race due to the presence of multiple Olympic medallist, Simon Whitfield (Gold in Sydney 2000 and Silver in Beijing 2008). I have never raced or met Simon before, however we did used to have the same running coach and he is the reason that I began this sport. Lining up against him, regardless of the result is something I have wanted to do for a very long time and finally it will happen.

As for the race I’m hoping I can turn up and add some more ITU points to my name to help strengthen my ranking on the ITU points list as well as gain further experience racing in another country with a whole new set of challenges.

As I mentioned in my last update, I had some issues when my bike was cracked during my return trip from China. Not riding for nearly two weeks is certainly not great preparation however I have finally managed to secure a temporary bike to use and luckily have still felt quite strong while riding.

While certainly not confirmed at the moment, I am also looking at heading to compete on the Life Time Fitness Triathlon series event in Chicago on the 28th of August following Canada. This is a very large non-drafting series in the US that I have wanted to compete in for a few years. I will keep you posted on what happens.
 



Cheers
Ben Hammond

No comments:

Post a Comment